The English and Performing Arts departments have planned an excursion to Beeld en Geluid Media Centre in Hilversum on Tuesday 13th and Thursday 15th February for students in Year 2. They will take part in a ‘Nieuws en Nonsens” workshop and produce a class news programme.
The allocations are:
09.45 to 13.00 Class: Y2c and Y2d
13.45. to 17.00 Class: Y2b and Y2f
13.45 to 17.00 Class: Y2a and Y2e
The excursion is part of the English Department’s Media Literacy Unit and also an Interdisciplinary Unit with Performing Arts.
Y2 have worked in English lessons on reading and understanding news stories. They are now going to research world news stories to make short news items in groups, including interviews with ‘experts’ and ‘affected people”. In Performing Arts they are learning how to portray characters and how to act to camera. At the workshop they will use professional cameras, sound and editing equipment.
This is a preparation for an assessment where they make a final version of their film and script, and reflect on the learning process. The students will be challenged to empathise with their character's perspective on the news in order to convey their message convincingly to an audience within the genre of a TV news programme. We will also consider whether news reporting can ever be objective or is always shaped by a point of view. Of course, we are also looking at the topic of fake news!
- For transport, the students will cycle so they need a bike in good working condition.
- Class C and D must make their own way to Beeld en Geluid to arrive between 9.30 and 9.45 at the latest.
- Teachers will be there from 9.30. After the workshop they will cycle to school for lessons in periods 7 and 8.
- Classes A, B, E and F have normal lessons until lunchtime. They will have a longer lunch break and leave school at 1.30 and cycle to Beeld en Geluid. After the workshop they may cycle directly home.
All students will need to bring:
- their group’s script and any costumes or props to be used
- a snack and lunch and/or money to buy something in the cafeteria. The afternoon workshop classes will need an afternoon snack on top of what they usually bring to school.
The organizing teachers are:
Rebecca Gwynn-Jones, Parisa Nubahkt, Vanessa van Thessen, Arne Wiersda (English teachers)
Ralph Kooijman, Cheryl Moenen (Performing Arts teachers)